Xylitol; is a sugar alcohol sweetener that is used in many kinds of foods made for humans. Whilst being safe for humans showing up as a sugar replacement, it’s certainly not safe for dogs. For this reason it’s crucial to be aware of what your dog is eating inside and outside the home. So what foods contain Xylitol?

Xylitol

Common foods that contain Xylitol include:

  • Peanut Butter
  • Nicorette
  • Chewing Gum
  • Mouthwashes
  • Toothpaste
  • Yogurts

Xylitol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream; this result into an increased release of insulin. This increase in insulin causes a decrease in the blood sugars known as Hypoglycaemia. Hypoglycaemia can be as quick as 10 – 60 minutes after eating the Xylitol and if left untreated can be life threatening.


What are the symptoms of Xylitol poisoning?

  • Weakness
  • Vomitting
  • Lack of Coordination
  • Difficulty Standing
  • Lethargy
  • Tremours
  • Seizures


How much Xylitol is poisonous?

The dose of Xylitol has been suggested to be around 50mg of Xylitol per pound of body weight. The higher the dose ingest then the higher the chance of liver failure. 

If you suspect your dog has Xylitol poisoning then visit your vet immediately, it; important that your dog gets treatment as quickly as possible. Please be aware that if your dog is already Hypoglycaemic then, inducing vomiting will make them worse.

Peanut Butter & Xylitol poisoning


Treatment of Xylitol Toxicity

There is no cure for Xylitol toxicity; although treatment with sugar supplementation, IV fluids and liver protective drugs are beneficial. Blood work should be frequently monitored to ensure blood sugar and liver function remain normal.

Stay Positive!

For more health post, visit our health category for more information.

Loading Likes...
Categories: Health

Leave a Reply