Wren’s first birthday very quickly came around and when looking for a recipe I usually look for no flour or a flour that I can substitute into a healthier option. This time however I was going all out; I came across these Puppy Oatmeal Creme Pies by on Southern Parm on Pinterest and knew these were going to be the ones. I slightly adapted the recipe but all in all it was a success and these will be made again; perhaps with different sauces.
Needless to say the dogs loved them however; if I was making these in an average Sunday bake off I wouldn’t have made them so big.
Prep Time – 20 Mins
Cook Time – 15 Mins
Total Time – 35 Mins
- 1 1/2 cups or 510g Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup or 170g Apple Sauce (homemade)
- 1/3 or 43g cup Flour
- 1tbsp Honey
- Greek Yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180° C, 350° F or Gas Mark 4
- You can use pre made apple sauce or make your own; I will describe the process here. Skin, core and dice your apple; adding to the saucepan with a little water. Heat the apples on a low heat adding water where needed until they are of an apple
sauce texture and it’s done!When using pre-made apple sauce please use un-sweetened sauce
- Into a bowl mix the oats and the flour
- Next add the honey, and apple sauce, mixing all the ingredients until all combined and thickened.
- Once your cookie batter is ready, scoop out 2 tbsp, form into a ball and place on a lined baking sheet. once you have used all the batter which will create around 8 balls. Flatten them into patties, to create your cookie
- When heated; put into the oven and bake for 15 mins. Placing on a wire cooling rack when they are out the oven
- When total cool, spoon your greek yogurt into a think layer onto 4 of the cookies. Use the remaining cookie to top the others pressing down a little on the sides. Don’t worry is a little squirts out your dogs won’t mind.Do let us know in the comments below, if you tried this recipe and if your dogs enjoyed them as much as Wren and Raven did!